If your budget didn’t allow you to take the vacation you wanted in 2015, don’t let the same reason hinder your wanderlust in 2016. A few resolutions, made around the New Year, can help you reach your vacation goal.
Here are a few quick tips to consider:
• Contribute to a vacation savings account: Big travel purchases, like airfare and hotel accommodations, are hefty withdrawals if you don’t set aside money specifically for a vacation. Earmark a portion of each paycheck to send straight to a dedicated vacation savings account. Once it’s there, don’t touch it until it’s time to pay for your trip.
• Create a budget: A budget is the only way to track your spending and ensure you have more coming in than going out. Make your budgeting as seamless as possible with Casio’s new CLASSWIZ fx-991EX scientific calculator. Typically a function reserved for graphing calculators, the fx-991EX features a high-resolution screen and a basic spreadsheet function that enables users to create spreadsheets of up to five columns and 45 rows for a maximum of 170 data items for all their expenses.
• Budget your time: Before making any travel plans, check your job’s vacation policy so you can budget your days off from work accordingly. If you don’t get paid time off from work, the pay cut is also an important item to consider in your financial budget.
• Temporarily skip extras: Which of your daily expenses are necessary and which are optional? Consider packing your lunch for a month or using the company coffeemaker instead of indulging in a daily latte at the café around the block. At the end of the month, calculate the savings and “pay yourself” by directing this money to your vacation fund.
• Consider coupons: Vacation packages found on daily deal sites can be just the ticket you need to get the vacation you want for less. Other travel sites often offer special rates if you bundle purchases. Investigate these options before resigning yourself to an expensive a la carte plan.
• Be on time: A missed flight or train could cost you a pretty penny you did not account for when drawing up your vacation budget. Invest in a watch that will help you stay true to your itinerary, such as Casio’s line of EDIFICE timepieces. These watches automatically adjust to the time zone and come with daily alarm settings and countdown timer settings.
You don’t need to defer your vacation again this year. A few tips can keep you on track for a memorable vacation.