St. Patrick’s Day.
What began as a simple religious feast celebrating the patron St. Patrick of Ireland is now a huge celebration across America filled with interesting foods, events, parades, and a whole lot of green.
Many places throughout the country celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, including Lufkin, Texas.
- On Wednesday night, March 16 at 8 p.m., The Brewery will host the Unhappy Hour with Joshua Black Wilkins. It will be a night of beer, live music, and food from Old Souls Food Truck. Big Thicket Brewery, located at 113 W Shepherd Ave., is Deep East Texas’ very first brewery. It opened to the public in 2015, and it has since been independently producing many different specialty beers. Old Soul’s Food Truck is a vintage truck with fresh food ideas using a Fusion/New American take on East Texas food.
- Gamer’s Hollow, located at 1506 South First St., became Lufkin’s first game shop since Bad Wolf Games closed in 2013.
With the support of a large fan base, it was able to open in October 2015. Thursday, March 17 starting at 6:30, Gamer’s Hollow will be holding a Magic: The Gathering St. Patrick’s Day Mono-Green Tournament. The decks must be completely green, with the exception of generic colors. The prizes will be all green, and the player who wears the most green gets an extra prize. Gamer’s Hollow offers tabletop and trading card games and accessories and provides a place for gamers to connect and play together.
- Restoration is hosting a St. Patty’s Day celebration beginning at 3 p.m. Thursday,
March 17. There will be live music from Glenn Lenderman, food and drink specials including $3 house wine, and door prizes. Located at 210 South First St., Restoration opened its doors Jan. 1, 2014. It offers 60 different wines and imported beers and food including salads, sandwiches, and flatbread pizzas.
- Angelina Arts Alliance will be hosting the Annie Moses Band’s performance of American Rhapsody at the Temple Theatre at Angelina College Thursday, March 17, at 7:30 p.m. The Annie Moses bands is comprised of Julliard-trained siblings.Featuring favorites from Aaron Copland, George Gershwin and other American originals, the show is a melting pot of classical and bluegrass, progressive folk and stunning traditional melodies. For ticket and more information, visit https://www.texasforestcountryliving.com/4504-2/
- Lufkin’s International House Of Pancakes is participating in the national IHOP campaign on St. Patrick’s Day. IHOP will be offering Guests who come to dine in the restaurant wearing even a touch of green one short stack of buttermilk pancakes for one dollar on Thursday, March 17 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. “St. Patrick’s Day is all about luck, and we feel we’re so lucky to have guests who love the IHOP brand as much as they do,” states Kirk Thompson, Senior Vice President, Marketing, International House of Pancakes, LLC. “And, since we believe that the only thing better than a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow is a short stack of buttermilk pancakes, what better way to celebrate this fun day when everyone can be Irish!”
So check out these awesome events and support your local businesses!